Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Tim -- here's another family favorite not-so-secret

OK, so it's a little up-scaled, but here is....(drum roll)... the carrot salad of my childhood:

"Grate carrots, toast some sunflower seeds, and toss with blueberries, olive oil, lemon juice and plenty of black pepper. Sweet, sour, crunchy, soft."

This is an excerpt from a great NY Times article on summer salads: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/22/dining/22mlist.html?em

I'm anxious to try the "grown-up" substitutes for raisins and pineapple chunks. But I guess that's part of the appeal of mom's version -- it was super cheap and super easy.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting how simple, fresh, homemade foods are becoming "in" again, when we grew up thinking that was boring or weird. (Okay, so I still think a lettuce and butter sandwich is weird.) But I do love how modern chefs don't turn their noses up at something just because it's easy to prepare or cheap to make.

    ReplyDelete