Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Mom's Enchiladas

Pete asked me for this, so I thought I'd post in case anyone else is in need:

2 c + liquid (I prefer the sauce on the thinner side), broth or water
4 T flour or cornmeal (or combination)
3/4 t salt
3 T chili powder
1 t new mexico chili powder (or 1/4 t cayenne)
1 t cumin

Mix dry ingredients. Make a paste with about 1/4 c of the liquid. Add remaining liquid and whisk, stirring frequently, until thickened. Season meat of your choice well with salt, pepper, and desired seasonings and saute. Fill tortillas w/ meat, sauce, and cheese. Top with sauce and sprinkled cheese. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes, or until warmed through and cheese is melted.

A few notes: because chili powders vary so widely, I always have to taste and adjust the seasonings. For the chili powder I currently have, 1/2 t salt is better. I've also started doubling the recipe, stopped dipping the tortillas before I fill them, and just ladling the sauce inside and over the casserole before baking. Call me lazy, but it cuts down on time and mess *hugely*. I'm much more prone to make them now. 1 and 1/2 recipes would be perfect, really (1 is too little, 2 is too much). Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment