Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Mary Jane's Lentil Soup

Very healthy and yummy soup - and my kids will even eat it! This is my slightly modified version after making this many, many times.

1 cup dry lentils
3/4 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup chopped celery
3/4 cup chopped carrots
3 Tbs. fresh parsley chopped (or 1 Tbs. dried)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 tsp. salt
pinch crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
2 cups chopped tomatoes with juices (fresh or canned)

Rinse lentils; drain and place in soup kettle. Add 4 cups of water. Simmer covered until tender but not mushy (about 30-45 minutes). Meanwhile, saute all vegetables (except tomatoes) and herbs in 1-2 TBS. olive oil until tender (appx. 20 minutes). Add sauted vegetables and tomatoes to the undrained lentils. Simmer covered about 30 minutes longer. Season to taste.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks, Jeni! Katie, is this the same recipe you have? I have vague and fond memories of bacon in this soup...

    One thing I do remember about the last time I tried this recipe is that I started it early and let it simmer an hour longer than the directions instruct. Yielded mushy lentils, and I had to add liquid. Next time, I'll try to time it much more precisely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, so I missed the first paragraph -- thanks for posting *your* version, Jeni! I should make it tonight -- it's a perfectly almost-chilly fall day here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Guys: "Hawkes Nest" = Becky. Becky made this last week and it was perfect. Really. Never had it better. Lentils, veggies, and flavors just right. We make it maybe once a month.

    ReplyDelete