Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Cracked Wheat Cereal

Hey all -- has anyone successfully reproduced mom's cracked wheat hot cereal? I'm in desperate need of new breakfast ideas, and I'm curious as to whether I really love it as much as my memory tells me I do. I don't know why I haven't tried to make it before now... Anyone know whether I use bulgar wheat or whole wheat berries or something else? I imagine she soaked the wheat overnight before cooking it. We make steel cut oatmeal (to-die-for, by the way: no glue, lots of flavor) in our rice cooker -- program it to be ready when we wake up. Maybe the wheat works the same way?

2 comments:

  1. Jennie: you can cook whole wheat in the rice cooker. Mom used to do it and I loved it as a kid: warm, with a little milk and honey.

    As for cracked wheat, we made it in Japan all the time when I was a missionary. It's nothing more than whole wheat ground coarse, cooked in water with a little salt. No pre-cooking. Nothing. What I don't recall is how much water to use relative to the ground wheat. As I recall, we just added wheat to about a cup of boiling water until the thickness "looked right." If it gets too thick, you can always thin it out with--again--milk and honey. As I recall, it cooks quite fast as well, though it does need to bubble along for a bit. (How's that for precise?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tim! You jogged my memory: what I'm remembering as cracked wheat must have been whole wheat berries. I *loved* it. I had completely forgotten about "cracked" wheat. I imagine the preparation is similar to steel cut oats. I'll have to give both a try -- our rice cooker has a programmable timer, so I can start it before we go to bed and won't have to be up at 5 (like mom) to have breakfast ready by 7...

    ReplyDelete