Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Bran Muffins

Jennie was just asking me about mom's bran muffin recipe when I came across this one on my computer. It very well may have been the one mom used. That's the problem with mom's recipes---we never know which she used and how she tweaked it. So, here's this one. I can't vouch for it because I've never tried it, and I don't know if it really makes that many muffins, but that's what is written :)

Bran Muffins
Dorothy Hawkes

1 c shortening or margarine
1 ½ tsp salt
2 ½ c sugar
4 eggs unbeaten
2 c boiling water
1 quart buttermilk
6 c bran buds cereal (?)
5 c sifted flour
5 tsp baking soda

Cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs, liquids, and dry ingredients. Add nuts raisins and dates if desired. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes. I can be stored in the refrigerator for 6 weeks and used as needed. If stored, add nuts, raisins, dates, etc.. at time of baking. Makes 130! “_

1 comment:

  1. hm... I remember them being good, but "dessert?"

    Anxious to try the recipe. Thanks for the post! I did a little research, and Kellog's All Bran does have a "bran buds" cereal, I've just never seen it in stores. Online it's only 8$ a box! So cheap! I imagine the classic All Bran would be a fine sub for them. I'll try it and let you know.

    ReplyDelete